This is sponsored advertising content from Sargento Foods. The opinions stated are my own.
As someone who is a total food lover, certain foods provide such wonderful memories for me! Food isn’t just something we have to consume. Food is love, food is time, food is tradition, and recipes are passed down from generation to generation with love and care.
My dad comes from the Brittany region in France, home of the French crêpe. Every Christmas since I can remember, my family makes these savory ham and cheese dinner crêpes from a recipe that was passed down to my mom from my grandma (or Mamy).
Crêpes are often thought of as a sweet dessert, but savory crêpes are equally as good, and they are a perfect dish to add to your holiday table!
My family has made these savory dinner crêpes for special holidays as long as I can remember, it really isn’t Christmas unless our favorite dinner crêpes are served!
The recipe has a beautiful béchamel sauce with ham, onions, mushrooms, and is completed with some Sargento Artisan Blends Shredded Swiss Cheese, as well as a little sprinkling on top! They are savory and scrumptious, and I could never bite into one without thinking of all those family Christmas’ over the years! I love bringing this tradition from my childhood to my little family’s Christmas table each year, and I hope you will too!
Be sure to Read More for the Recipe!
Ham, Gruyere Cheese, and Mushroom Savory Christmas Dinner Crêpes
(makes approximately 30 medium sized crêpes with filling)
20-30 cooked crêpes from your favorite crepe recipe (be sure to leave out any vanilla or sugar, since this is a savory crêpe)
My favorite French Crêpe Recipe
makes about 25-30 small crêpes
1 1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cup milk
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
4 tbs melted butter
6 large eggs
1) Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until fully combined.
Place in a large bowl, if you have time, cover and place in refrigerator overnight, or at least 2-4 hours minimum in order for the flour to completely emulsify.
2) When ready to cook. Place crepe skillet on medium heat. Coat the pan lightly with butter to prevent the crêpe from sticking. Add 1/4 c batter in crepe pan. Swirl the batter quickly, and coat the pan and cook until the edges are brown. flip and cook another minute. The first few crêpes hardly ever turn out great, so chin up and keep at it!
For the Creamy Ham, Cheese, and Mushroom Filling
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onions, diced small
1 green pepper, diced small
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups half and half milk
1 cup sour cream
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp sugar
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (or to taste)
3/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 cups shredded Sargento Artisan Blends Shredded Swiss Cheese (plus ½ cup for toppings)
4 cups thinly sliced good quality deli ham, cubed (I like to use black forest ham)
4 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced or diced small.
Fresh Parsley for Garnish
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
1) Heat butter and olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Sauté the onions, and green peppers until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, and stir for one minute. Turn heat down to medium low and add flour. Mix well.
2) Next, whisk in milk, sour cream, egg yolks, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and sugar. Stir well.
3) Add the Sargento Artisan Blends Shredded Swiss Cheese, and continually mix as the sauce thickens, and the cheese melts. Remove the saucepan from the heat once all of the cheese has melted. Then, add the mushrooms, and ham; and mix until incorporated. (It is important to make sure that you remove the pan from the heat before you add the mushrooms, or the mushrooms will release too much liquid and it will become too runny)
Place good amount of mixture into the prepared crepes and roll them up setting them next to each other in a baking dish. (A little bit like making enchiladas)
Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the Sargento Artisan Blends Shredded Swiss Cheese over the top of the crêpes. Place in oven just until the cheese melts on the top of the crepes. (about 15-20 minutes) Garnish the top with fresh chopped parsley (optional). Serve immediately.
I hope this recipe will grace your Christmas table as it has ours for years to come!
This post is sponsored by the Real Cheese People at Sargento Foods, who believe great meals start with real, natural cheese, shredded fresh off the block.
Thank you so much for supporting the brands that make this blog possible.