1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons sherry wine or red wine (optional, I didn’t have any so I didn’t use it)
2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons soy sauce
½ tsp sesame oil
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sherry or red wine (again optional)
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons corn starch
1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced very small
5 Tablespoons vegetable oil or peanut oil
1 teaspoon ginger, minced or grated
2 teaspoons garlic, minced or grated
½ cup green onions, minced
1 cup of shiitake mushrooms, minced (dried or fresh… if dried soak in water for 30 minutes prior to using and remove woody stems)
1 (8 ounce can) water chestnuts, minced
1 package Chinese cellophane noodles, cooked to pkg. directions (optional)
*12 iceberg lettuce cups (washed)
1. Mix all ingredients for “Cooking Sauce” and set aside in a small bowl.
2. In a medium bowl combine “marinade” ingredients and mix well. Add chicken and stir to coat. Stir in 1 Tbs. oil and let sit for 15 minutes.
3. Heat a wok or large skillet on medium-high heat. Add 3 Tbs. oil, then add chicken and stir-fry for about 3-4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
4. Add 2 Tbs. Oil back to the pan and add ginger, garlic, and green onion. Stir fry for one minute. Then add mushrooms and water chestnuts and stir fry 2 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan. Stir in the mixed “cooking sauce” to the pan. Cook until thickened and hot and chicken is cooked.
5. Pour cooked cellophane noodles onto a dish in small pieces & pour chicken on top and serve on lettuce.
Special Dipping Sauce
½ cup water
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon sesame oil or chili oil with sesame flavor
1 tablespoon Chinese hot mustard (or less if you don’t care for spicy food)
1 tsp garlic and chili sauce/paste
Combine ingredients and spoon over wraps. Adjust amounts according to your liking.