Some times it can be hard to come up good ideas for healthy meals for kids, but you don’t have to sweat it. Kids love simple, and serving up some healthy kids snacks in a muffin tin tray is a fun way to get kids to eat healthy!
On those busy days when I am working, or not in the mood to make a big fuss over a meal, I whip out the Muffin or cupcake tins, and get started filling them up with healthy options that my kids love.
I don’t know what it is about the way it is presented, but my kids go nuts over having little compartments full of snacks and healthy foods to eat. They love not having a plate, and sometimes I put a blanket out, and they can just snack and munch on the floor picnic style.
There really aren’t any rules to what you can put in the tins, but here are a few things I usually use:
- Fresh fruit- sliced fresh fruit, or whole fruits. I just make sure it is washed and bite sized. You could even add dried fruits, like raisins, or freeze dried strawberries.
- Fresh Vegetables- again, washed and cut bite-sized ready to eat. You could even save a tin for some dipping sauces like hummus, or ranch if your kids prefer that.
- Cheese- If I have a minute I’ll let the kids help cut out fun shapes with cookie cutters in the cheese, or I’ll just cut up some string cheese, or cube some different varieties of cheeses.
- Meats- I’ll find some good quality deli-meats free from nitrates or antibiotics and cut them up in cubes, or roll them up. We also love salamis, or sausages.
- Nuts- Sometimes I’ll add some raw nuts. Almonds, peanuts, cashews. My kids do not have any allergies, so they enjoy snacking on nuts.
- Crackers- I love adding some crackers in the tins. My oldest loves to make little “sandwiches” with the crackers and meats and cheeses. We love the Annie’s Organic Cheddar Bunnies, and Rice Crackers.
- Themed- When it is near a certain holiday like St. Patrick’s Day, I have made the snack tins with all green foods. It’s fun for the kids, and they love something new and festive for lunch.
The best part about the Muffin Tin Meals is that you really can do what ever you want. Anything goes! If there is a bit-sized healthy snack or food that your child loves, throw it in there! They will be thrilled! You could even pack it up, cover it up and bring it along to the park with you for some snacking on-the-go as it tends to be at the park when the kids rather run around and play instead of sitting still and eating. Or is that just my kids?!
Getting your kids to eat healthy meals and snacks can always be a stressful time of day, but it doesn’t have to be if you make it more fun for them. They always love a little escape from the norm, so throw a blanket down, toss the plates and forks aside, and let them have at it!
All photos by me