We have been having so much fun recently going on some amazing winter vacation getaways. We just got back from a Colorado Winter Vacation to Steamboat Springs, and we enjoyed it so much!
We love to vacation as a family, the memories made are priceless, and the time spent together is so precious. When I think back on life, my most fondest memories as a child are of my family vacations, and I hope to provide my children with some lifelong memories. When considering a vacation many think of warm summer like destinations, but lately Winter Destination’s have been some of our favorites!
This trip, we headed to the ski town of Steamboat Springs. Steamboat is in Northeast Colorado tucked along their rolling mountains. It has the perfect amount of small town feel which we were lucky enough to experience at their annual Winter Carnival. We not only got to experience the amazing skiing at Steamboat Springs Resort, but we were also able to take part in many of their Winter Carnival Activities that made the trip extra fun for the whole family.
Some of the Steamboat Springs Winter Carnival Activities included: family tubing on Howelsen Hill, ski jump competitions, a winter firework show that included skiers with fireworks shooting off of them as they skied down the mountain!
Some of our favorite Winter Carnival activities were watching some of the street events held Downtown. It was a wildly entertaining show with dog races, kids on skis being pulled down their main street by a horse taking them off jumps, and the adult shovel race was a favorite! We cheered for them all!
The Diamond Hitch Parade felt like the perfect small town celebration! Band members on ski’s, local kids, and businesses parading down the street handing out treats to the kids, all in good winter fun! We loved every minute of it!
The skiing at Steamboat Springs Resort was magical! They had this unreal Champagne Powder snow, that was light and fluffy, and unlike anything I’ve ever skied in before!
They have six peaks of nearly 3,000 acres of terrain, with 165 trails, 18 lifts, and 3 terrain parks. With the rolling mountains, it was a different kind of skiing than what we are used to with our Utah skiing being much more vertical, but the trails were were nice and open for my family and kids to roam around as they pleased all around the mountain, and the tree skiing was so good! The kids had a fun time adventuring through their world famous aspens, and hitting a few of their black diamond runs!
If a winter vacation interests you as well, here are a few reasons…
Why you Should Plan A Winter Vacation Getaway:
- Helps with the Winter Blues. If the thought of a hunkering down for a long winter leaves you depressed, then plan some Winter Getaways! Having something to look forward to in the winter does wonders. Planning a getaway and getting a change of scenery is nice when you feel stuck at home during the winter months feeling stir crazy.
- See new places. If your from a warm winter climate or not, it is always nice to get out there and see and experience some new places and weather.
- Small Town Fun. Ski towns offer good clean wholesome fun! We were lucky enough to arrive in Steamboat Springs during their Winter Carnival, but many ski towns also have a winter festival of some sort that offer even more fun family entertainment during your stay.
- A nice play to cozy up. There isn’t anything better than spending time outdoors during a winter vacation, then coming back to your place and cozying up to a nice warm fire. We loved staying at the Wyndham Vacation Rentals Trailhead Lodge in Steamboat that included a nice warm fireplace, three-bedroom full kitchen living room accommodations. You can read more about our experience staying at the Trailhead Lodge, and see more pictures, and reasons you’ll want to book a vacation rental for a winter vacation by visiting this post.
- Main Street Shopping and Dining. Ski towns usually always have some great shopping and/or a quality restaurant scene. Discovering new restaurants and unique shops is always fun while on vacation! Quaint ski towns are a great place to visit, and usually offer a great après ski scene with great restaurants and night life.
- Off season travel deals. Traveling during the winter bring opportunities for some great travel deals whether it is on airfare, or lodging depending on your destination, and time you are traveling.
- Winter Recreational Activities. There are so many recreation activities to do in the winter. You don’t have to be a skier to go on a Winter Vacation, there are so many things to do! Skiing or snowboarding are the most popular, but there are also many other activities to try. Snowmobiling, Winter Mountain Biking (yes, it’s a thing!), Dog Sledding, Ice Skating, Tubing, Ice Fishing, Ice Climbing, Snow shoeing, Cross country Skiing, the list goes on! So many great options to try!
Well, I hope I’ve given you some inspiration to start planning that Winter Getaway you’ve always wanted to go on!
You’ll only regret that trip you didn’t take!
Be sure to check out more of our family travels here!
Thanks so much to Wyndham Vacation Rentals for hosting us in Steamboat Springs, all thoughts and opinions are my own.