When thinking of a warm vacation destination, the desert is often overlooked, but it is definitely something to consider. Arizona is a great family vacation destination once the summer months are over, and the weather isn’t so extreme. Scottsdale was the perfect place for our family to escape to on our Fall Break this year, and we enjoyed every minute of it!We stayed at the gorgeous Four Seasons Resort at Troon North in Scottsdale. We were pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the landscape of the desert was. Right outside our room there was a beautiful little mountain filled with cacti and rocks, and it almost didn’t look real it was so perfect!Kids Outfits from: Janie and Jack
My kids enjoyed the warmer fall weather, and quickly got back into summer mode, swimsuits, flip flops and all. A welcomed break from jackets, sweaters, and boots back home. Bring on the Vitamin D! We all enjoyed the desert air, and we quickly became more relaxed, and really were able to enjoy our time!
10 Reasons to Consider a Desert Escape for your next Family Vacation Destination:
- Scottsdale has some amazing Resorts with incredible amenities: The Four Seasons in Scottsdale ended up being the perfect place for our fall family vacation! With a gorgeous pool, grounds, top notch restaurants, it ended up being the exact getaway we were looking for!
- Warmer Weather: If you live in a cooler climate, escaping to the desert is perfect when you want to vacation in a nice warm place. It was sure nice to have pool weather again, since back home in Utah it has been a little crisp and cool.
- Upscale Dining: The Food in Scottsdale is amazing, and the Four Seasons has an outstanding restaurant on-site called, Proof Canteen. It is a nod to the American Canteen, reminiscent of the road trip days of historic Route 66. It was the perfect option for the family, and being on-site made it so convenient to walk over to. The food was so good, and the kids meals weren’t just garbage “kid food”, but they were just smaller portions of the normal entrees served in adorable cafeteria style trays. All of the dishes we tried we loved, and I especially loved the salmon. The breakfast buffet on the weekends was perfect for the family to be able to pick and choose exactly what we wanted. My kids couldn’t get enough, and the torched steel cut oatmeal will forever change the way I look at oatmeal for the rest of my life. Phenomenoal!
- Family Friendly Dining in Scottsdale: While in Scottsdale we were on the search for a family friendly place for Dinner one of the nights. We ended up being recommended Tom’s Thumb Fresh Market. It was a perfect Family casual dining option! This hardwood smoked Barbecue spot has been featured on Diners, Drive-Inns, and Dives. It has a unique set up of a gas station, car wash, market, and restaurant all in one! The Brisket Stack was amazing, and I would highly recommend it, that and the Baked Mac and Cheese. The kids couldn’t get enough of the brisket, and pulled pork! They also just installed an amazing fish tank that the kids enjoyed while eating! It will be featured on the show Tanked soon!
- Relaxation in the Desert: The Desert is surprisingly relaxing! I loved the landscape, and Scottsdale is known for their amazing spas. I was able to get a Sticks and Hot Stone massage at the Four Seasons Spa, and it was the best massage I have ever gotten! For the first time mid-family vacation, I was able to have the most relaxing time. Just because you are traveling with kids, doesn’t mean you can’t take a little alone time to yourself! It was pure heaven!
- Activities for Kids (Kids Club): Many resorts offer some kind of a kids club where kids can go and do activities while the parents have some alone time. This is such a perfect way to escape and relax for a bit even while on a family trip. I was able to escape to the spa for a massage while the kids went over to the Four Seasons Kids for all Seasons. This would be a great opportunity to go have alone time with your spouse while the kids are occupied and having fun. That is what I call the best of both worlds, because we all know that vacations with the kids can be called more of a trip than a vacation.
- Amenities/ Family Activities: The amenities are top notch in the desert, and the best news for my kids is that it is warm enough to swim all year round while vacationing in the desert! My kids love a good hotel pool, and they really could spend all day and all night there. Give them a pool, and they are happy as can be on vacation! It is always nice for all of us to get some vitamin D, we always come back feeling refreshed!
The Four Seasons also has so many fun family activities during holidays. A few of the upcoming ones are: Cookies with Claus, Festive Feasts, Ring in the New Year, and Festive Flicks!
- Robe Life, and Beautiful Hotel Rooms: I don’t know about your kids, but my kids think it’s like Disneyland to stay at hotels. The Four Seasons Scottsdale treated my kids so well, and they were greeted with some cute stuffed toys, and some treats. They loved having that special treatment, and were thrilled to see that they had robes that were just their size in the closet.
- The Landscape and Wildlife: We were so surprised how quickly we fell in love with the brown desert landscapes. The cacti were so beautiful, and those desert sunsets can’t be beat! My kids also loved seeing little lizards pop out here and there, and my youngest Thomas swears he say a coyote or a bobcat. My kids learned about Javelina boars for the first time, and were constantly on the hunt. They really thought they would find one, ha!
- The Great Outdoors: There are a lot of great hikes in Scottsdale, and being outside in a new area with new landscapes is amazing! We just loved experiencing new things!
Family time is always the best time, and family vacation time, can’t ever be replaced! Per family vacation tradition, we asked each one of our kids what their favorite thing was about our vacation. My oldest answered that he loved spending so much time with our family. That warmed my heart, because that is how I feel as well. Making memories in the warm sunshine, and enjoying our time together as a family was just what we needed. Turns out, an escape to the desert is just what our family needed!
(all photos by me)
To check out more of our Family Travel adventures, be sure to click here!